Folsom, CAHome Menu
Help Paramedics Access Your Important Information
Emergencies are unplanned events, but you can be prepared. The Vial of Life program was developed for anyone with medical conditions, a history of illness, and those who routinely take special or prescription medication.
The Vial of Life is a lifesaving tool widely used across the country by emergency responders. Simply put, it is a medicine vial that provides immediate access to your medical history. During a medical emergency, paramedics often look for the patient's medications to assist them in determining a course of action, particularly when a patient is unconscious.
The Vial of Life program kit includes a large medicine container and a form. It is placed on the top shelf inside the refrigerator so any emergency responder can locate it quickly and easily. A magnet is provided for the front of your refrigerator.
Get your free Vial of Life kit at Station 35.
How to Use the Vial of Life
- Complete the Vial of Life form. Use two if necessary.
- Fold and roll the form so it will fit inside the medicine bottle.
- Attach any “Do Not Resuscitate” or advanced medical directives.
- Ensure that the Vial of Life label is on the bottle.
- Place your initials on the label if there is more than one Vial of Life container in your refrigerator.
- Place the medicine bottle on the top shelf of your refrigerator and ensure that it stays there.
- Attach the Vial of Life magnet at the top right-hand side of your refrigerator door. This will alert emergency personnel that you are participating in the program.
- Update your information if your medical condition or medications change. Use a new form if necessary.
Notes About the Vial of Life
- Do not place any medications in the Vial of Life container.
- Your Vial of Life container should only contain medical information.
- The Vial of Life program is a free life-safety preparedness program coordinated by the City of Folsom Fire Department.