What it Takes to Become a Folsom Police Dispatcher
- Entry Level - Dispatcher I: Two years of full-time clerical experience involving substantial public contact. Experience in dealing with difficult or distressed individuals is desirable. Must be able to type 45 words per minute (WPM) and provide a typing certification with proof of typing skills with application. The certificate must be dated within the last year.
- Lateral - Dispatcher II: One year of full-time dispatch experience with a governmental law enforcement agency. Duties routinely performed must be similar to those completed by dispatchers at the Folsom Police Department.
- Lateral - Dispatcher II: Must have current and valid POST Dispatcher Certificate.
- Entry-Level - Dispatcher I: Must be able to type 45 WPM and provide a typing certification.
- Must have or be able to obtain a California Class C driver's license by the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Must be willing to work varied, rotating shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Folsom Police Dispatchers are a vital part of our department and our community. Our ideal candidates would:
- Remain calm, act quickly, and use good judgment under pressure.
- Learn to effectively operate computer-aided dispatch systems, 911 telephone equipment, and radio equipment.
- Interact with the public courteously, with patience, and a positive attitude.
In addition to the benefit of working in a wonderful, supportive community, our dispatchers also receive:
- Generous pay and benefits
- CalPERS Retirement
- Up to 10% for education incentive and certification pay for POST Dispatcher Certificate
- Holiday In Lieu Pay
- Bilingual Pay
- CTO Pay