What it Takes to Become a Folsom Police Officer
- Entry-level candidates are currently in a POST Basic Academy, recently graduated from a POST approved Basic Academy, and/or are currently working as a peace officer for a recognized law enforcement agency, but who have not obtained a POST Basic Certificate.
- Lateral candidates are currently working for a recognized law enforcement agency, have successfully completed the probation period for that agency, and possess a State of California POST Basic Certificate.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Currently enrolled in or completion of POST approved Basic Academy by hire date (entry-level candidates)
- Possess POST Basic Certificate (lateral candidates)
- 1+ year of law enforcement experience (lateral candidates)
- 21 years of age or older
- Possess a valid California driver license
Our department's community policing approach means that officers work in partnership with our community to solve problems and prevent crime. Our ideal candidates would:
- Be good communicators and be able to meet and deal with the public tactfully and effectively.
- Be able to analyze situations and adopt quick, effective, and reasonable courses of action.
- Have knowledge of police methods and procedures, criminal law, and criminal procedures.
See the detailed job description and qualifications to learn more about this position.
Benefits of Being a Folsom Police Officer
In addition to the benefit of working in a wonderful, supportive community, our police officers also receive:
- Generous pay and benefits
- Up to 10% for education incentive and certification pay for advanced POST certificates
- On-duty workout time
- Bilingual pay
- FTO Pay
- 4/10 or 3/12.5 work schedules
- Special assignments such as bicycle, K-9, investigations, motors, mounted, school resource, and SWAT