Folsom, CAHome Menu
Keep Stormwater Clean
Help us keep Folsom's waterways clean and protect our creeks and rivers!
The city developed a Stormwater Ordinance (Folsom Municipal Code 8.70) to protect the quality of water in the storm drain system. Discharging many kinds of pollutants into our storm drains, detention basins, creeks, and rivers is illegal.
The city also conducts a range of activities to prevent urban runoff pollution as required by our state Stormwater Permit.
Activities That Pollute Our Waterways
The activities below can pollute our waterways. Remember, if it flows down the street, it enters your neighborhood creek!
- Washing pavement, buildings, and roofs
- Pollutants: accumulated pollutants on the surface, detergents, chemicals, acids
- Improper handling and storing of wastes and chemicals
- Pollutants: hazardous (toxic, flammable, combustible) wastes, industrial and household chemicals, and solid waste (trash)
- Littering and illegal dumping
- Pollutants: trash, cigarette butts, food products, and household wastes
- Maintaining landscaped areas
- Pollutants: trimmings, grass, pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers, and excess irrigation runoff
- Pollutants: paints, cleaners, solvents, and acids
- Installing concrete and stucco
- Pollutants: sand, gravel, cement mix, concrete slurry, solid chunks of concrete
- Grading and clearing construction sites, hillsides and roadside areas
- Pollutants: erosion in these areas can carry sediment and vegetative debris to storm drains and waterways
- Cleaning and emptying swimming pools and fountains
- Pollutants: chlorine, bleach, ammonia, detergent, and acids
- Caring for pets and animals
- Pollutants: Animal waste contains bacteria and viruses. Pick it up, and dispose of it as solid waste.
- Illegal sanitary sewer cross-connections to storm drains, leaking portable toilets and septic systems
- Pollutants: bacteria and viruses
How You Can Prevent Runoff
To keep the runoff leaving your home or work place clean, please follow the simple guidelines in the City of Folsom Creek Awareness Brochure.