The Folsom Police Department recruits and hires only those individuals who are committed to service and possess the traits and characteristics that reflect personal integrity and high ethical standards.
Our Hiring Process
When we are looking to fill vacancies within our Department, we work with the City of Folsom Human Resources Department to publicly post the vacancy and call for applications.
Once an application has been accepted and it is confirmed that the POST requirements for the position have been met, all potential new hires must follow the following process:
1. Candidates interview with an Oral Board that typically consists of both current officers, city employees or residents. Those candidates who are selected by the panel are then extended an offer of a more personal interview with the Police Chief or their designee.
2. Candidates that pass the Oral Board interview complete a Pre-Employment Questionnaire. This questionnaire helps to confirm that the candidate meets all hiring criteria prior to additional interviews or the background process. It includes questions regarding education and previous work experience.
3. A Background Investigation begins with completion of a Personal History Statement (which requires compilation of extensive biographical information), completion of additional questionnaires, fingerprinting, and an interview with a background investigator. The investigation will also include checks of employment, police, financial, education, and military records and interviews with family members, neighbors, supervisors, co-workers, and friends.
4. Candidates who pass the background investigation are given a conditional offer of employment. Upon acceptance, they must complete and pass a polygraph exam, a medical exam, and psychological exam
5. After they meet all qualifications of their appointment, including completion of the Police Academy, the candidate may be sworn in as a Police Officer with Folsom Police Department. They then will complete their Field Training to learn our community as well as the best practices used by Department while completing their job duties. During this time, officers are evaluated not only on the work they complete, but also on their character.
Our Hiring Standards
We hire employees and officers that are good people first and foremost, with a desire to serve their community with a high standard of ethics and morals.
To become a Folsom Police Officer, you must:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Be enrolled in or complete the POST approved Basic Academy by hire date (entry-level candidates)
- Possess POST Basic Certificate (lateral candidates)
- 1+ year of law enforcement experience (lateral candidates)
- 21 years of age or older
- Possess a valid California driver license
Our department's community policing approach means that officers work in partnership with our community to solve problems and prevent crime. Our ideal candidates would:
- Be good communicators and be able to meet and deal with the public tactfully and effectively.
- Be able to analyze situations and adopt quick, effective, and reasonable courses of action.
- Have knowledge of police methods and procedures, criminal law, and criminal procedures.