The City of Folsom values our rich history and encourages the preservation and enhancement of our architecturally significant resources. Policies, plans, and regulations for the city's Historic District promote a vibrant and sustainable district that fully reflects the city's diverse past.
- The Folsom Municipal Code Chapter 17.52 defines the boundaries of the city's Historic District and establishes standards and regulations for development of property within specific subareas of the Historic District.
- Historic Residential Primary Area Special Use & Design Standards FMC 17.52.540
- Map of Historic District Subareas
The Historic District Design and Development Guidelines (and Appendices) are intended to provide design professionals, property owners, developers, and citizens with a clear and common understanding of the city's expectations regarding the aesthetics and functionality of development proposed in the Historic District.
The Folsom Municipal Code (FMC 17.52.380) requires that any installation of new signs, as well as significant modifications to existing signs in the Historic District (Sutter Subarea) require prior approval of the Folsom Historic District Commission through the design review process.
Below, you will find excerpts from sections of the Folsom Municipal Code relating specifically to signs in the Sutter Street Subarea, along with excerpts from the City of Folsom Historic District Design & Development Guidelines:
The Ad Hoc Committee was established in March 2019 by City Council Resolution 10253 for the purpose of working with stakeholders on possible solutions for the Historic District parking issues. The Committee of 11 met monthly for one year to identify issues, evaluate and discuss potential solutions, and to provide recommendations to the City Council to address existing parking problems in the Historic District.
Additional information on Committee work is provided below:
Final Report-Recommendations to City Council
Implementation – Follow Up Actions
Quarterly Reports to City Council
- Quarterly Report for Q2-2021 (August 24, 2021)
- Presentation for Quarterly Report Q2 - 2021 (August 24, 2021)